More than 20 percent of Idaho homes tested contain radon.
That was the word Tuesday in a warning issued by the Idaho Department of Health & Welfare, where officials were encouraging residents statewide to test for radon at home.
According to the release, radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, after smoking.
It has been found in homes across the nation, including every county in Idaho; one in every five homes tested in Ada County has elevated levels of radon gas, and as many as half of the homes in other Idaho counties, such as Bonneville and Kootenai, have tested positive for elevated radon gas levels.
Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally in soil. It is odorless, tasteless and invisible.
The Kuna Melba News is now FREE with a simple and quick registration.
If you are an existing user, please login.
New users may register below.
There are many features in the print edition for Kuna Melba News subscribers.
You can subscribe HERE.