By Steve Miller
After months of below average temperatures and that Polar Vortex the calendar finally says it’s spring. With warmer temperatures you may be ready to open up the windows and start spring cleaning. For others you may be stocking up on the sinus medications and decongestants anticipating the pollen.
To breathe easier in your home, heating & air conditioning experts recommend having your air conditioning system professionally serviced and cleaned. This helps improve your air filtration systemand the system’s efficiency. Here’s more to consider:
- Start a new family habit —-check your shoes at the door to reduce your exposure to allergens
- Remove the source of allergens (carpets, pets, stuffed toys, old bedding)
- Clean and vacuum frequently to eliminate dust mites
- Wash clothes in hot water –hot water kills bacteria and dust mites
- Don’t smoke in the house –this includes burning candles
- Use glue boards / traps to catch rodents and bugs instead of chemicals
- Be sure your home is well ventilated if you’re painting, remodeling or using cleaning chemicals
- Get rid of extra moisture like roof leaks and slow drips under basins. Reducing humidity decreases dust mite and mold growth.
- Turn on bath exhaust fans and let them run 5-10 minutes after you shower to remove moisture
Steve Miller is Vice President at One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning