Summary: Responsible for overall integrity of the newspaper; editorial content, appearance, coverage, and production.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Assign topics, events, and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage
- Maintain relationship with community leaders and attend major community events and meetings
- Write feature articles, news stories, and editorials.
- Photograph subject material and events to accompany written content
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Read, evaluate and edit copy submitted for publication and confer with the authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Develop and maintain publishing standards
- Maintain website content and overall strategy between printed and online presence
- Responsible for developing supplemental publications, e.g., magazines, community guides, etc.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Other special projects and miscellaneous assignments as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform he essential functions. This job does require local travel and field reporting to cover current events and local stories.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications, or equivalent experience
- Strong background in newspaper publishing
- Excellent communications skills with multiple years of editing and writing experience
- Extensive experience using computer graphics programs and design software
- Proven creative skills, effective leadership skills, and strategic vision
- Must possess a passion for excellence and growing readership of our print and online products.
- Ability to multitask while working under production deadlines
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Plan, organize, and schedule workload effectively
- Knowledge of basic photography principles and techniques
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain through new social media outlets.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.